Dear macroalgae champion,
We would like to formally invite you to the final conference of the GRASS project: kickstarting macroalgae production in the Baltic Sea Region.
The event will take place on 6-7. May from 09.30-14.00 CET. Register here.
Macroalgae are game-changing biomass resources for producing food, cosmetics and energy without competing for arable land, depleting fresh water and adding fertiliser. However, the sector is still in its infancy in the Baltic Sea Region and there is a lack of in-depth and wide-spread knowledge on the potential benefits of macroalgae.
The GRASS project conference will gather experts from the Baltic Sea and beyond, with knowledge, initiatives, stories and best practices. The aim is to place seaweed at the heart of the Baltic Sea Region, to raise awareness among the public and public authorities of the many emerging benefits and opportunities of macroalgae, paving the way for future innovation and product development. For this the conference will give voice to the triple helix of innovation – industry, academia and government. During the conference, delegates will have the opportunity to elaborate on a developing position paper, a draft of which will be circulated in advance by the GRASS project partners.
Themes of the conference:
- State of play and prospects of macroalgae production and use in the BSR
- Benefits, risks, opportunities and barriers in innovation, production and product development
- How to bridge supply and demand for marketing algae products: Understanding the industry needs to upscale production
- The role of algae in contributing to EUs contribution to SDGs: Nutrient recycling, GHG emission uptake, biodiversity
- Knowledge transfer to stimulate the Baltic algae sector
- Lessons learned from other European regions more advanced in large scale production
- How to best link up with the European wide ‘Algae’ initiatives
- Harvesting beach-cast: problem or a resource?
- What comes AFTER GRASS – how to continue work as the SUBMARINER Algae working group
Latest agenda and info can be found here: https://www.submariner-network.eu/events/454-better-off-blue-4-baltic-macroalgae-conference
Agenda is under development and limited slots for external speakers can be available. If you are interested to present, contact us.
SUBMARINER Network for Blue Growth EEIG
Founded in 2014, the SUBMARINER Network for Blue Growth is a unique bottom-up platform that brings together actors from the whole Baltic Sea Region to actively promote innovative and sustainable uses of marine resources. With 40 members and 600+ partners from private and public organisations within the Baltic and beyond, it operates across the whole knowledge triangle (education, research, and innovation) by integrating perspectives